Friday, July 12, 2013

Shout At The Devil by Wilbur Smith

This was my first Wilbur Smith book and I have to say, I loved it!


It is the eve of WWI, tensions are mounting all over the world and the people brace for the imminent bloodshed. Down in German occupied East Africa however, laughing in the face of Death is an unlikely duo: A flamboyant Irish American, Flynn O'Flynn, who proclaims himself to be the best ivory poacher in Africa and the perfect Englishman, Sebastian Oldsmith. The latter, on his way to Australia, ends up in Zanzibar where his belongings are stolen. An unwily Oldsmith is then recruited by Flynn, who shows him a letter from the German emperor himself, requesting Flynn to shoot up all his elephants because they were 'eating up all the grass and smashing up all the trees and things'! 



What begins as a comic escapade transforms into horrifying reality as WWI sets in and death strikes those dearest to them. The plot becomes grisly all too soon and the next thing you know people are dying left and right in manners I wouldn't care to recollect.

Nobody writes like Smith. He manages to craft detailed descriptions of Africa, it's people and their ways while at the same time bringing out an edge-of-your seat thriller. There is action right from the start, chases by land and sea, nasty crocodiles and nastier Germans, massacres, ambushes and disease. The level of detail he gets into is not for the faint hearted. Days after reading this book, the images of a dying Portuguese pilot and the graphic scenes of elephant slaughter is still all too vivid in my mind. But seriously, sentences like '...the kidneys popped like overripe Satsuma plums' made me reconsider dinner!  

What I loved here apart from the plot itself was that the villains, the Germans, were not portrayed entirely as the bad guys. Some of their seamen were cast as courageous, chivalrous and heroic. The story has a ring of authenticity to it, no part of it seemingly fictional or any person in the cast super-heroic. I found this lacking in the works of many authors, even some whose books I really like.

This book was unique and was a refreshing experience for me, very different from others in the same category. I look forward to reading more of Smith's books. 

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to world of Wilbur Smith novels. Each is just a meticulously crafted. I bet you can’t read just one!
    Often after reading one of his novels, I go back to look at history books and how well the story fits the actual events of the time and I have yet to find an issue. Every detail seems completely plausible, if not actually true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a hold of the "drugs" that are the Taita books...River God...Seventh Scroll..etc. Rehab will be your only respite..They are super addictive, and I believe Wilburs best work ever. Been hooked since I read The Elephant Song in 1990!
    Also fond of Assegai, as it is based in my beautiful homeland, Kenya.
    Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoyed very much the Egyptian Series! :)

      Delete
  3. This was based on a real event. The German cruiser "Koenigsberg" took refuge and was eventually scuttled in the Rufiji delta in what is now Tanzania, in about 1915. The wreckage was visible until the mid-60s. The 10 main guns were removed and used by von Lettow-Vorbeck as field guns in the continuing war in German East Africa, being captured/destroyed at various points.
    There are 3 known survivors: one each at Pretoria, Mombasa, and Jinja in Uganda. There are moves afoot to trace the rest: 2 were in the Congo, last seen in the 50s and 70s respectively. No-one knows what happened to them: similarly one that came to the UK, last seen in Hove on the south coast in the early 30s. The others assumed destroyed. If you know anything............

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read all his novels total more than 23 of them. I've enjoyed all tremendously. He writes a novel every 2 yrs. But now it's overdue. Still waiting for his latest novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep that was my first wilbur too, my favorites were the early courtenay and ballentyne novels, still trying to find another copy of the sound of thunder, good review of a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the Lion Feeds is the greatest novel of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. all the novels of the author are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been to Africa - but I am in love with the continent. Thanks to you Mr Wilbur Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wilbur is on of the greats. I'm very pleased for you as I have taken so much from his novels. Unfortunately, all other writers will seem very tame by comparison after this....

    Happy reading

    ReplyDelete